1. Applicants must apply for the license together. Applicants will complete a worksheet at the beginning of the application process, which can be downloaded and completed prior to arrival at the County Clerk’s Office.
2. Both must be 18 years old or older.
3. There is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.
4. The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
5. The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
6. Both must present an acceptable form of ID, such as a driver’s license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, or passport.
7. There is a $50 fee for the license. We accept cash, credit card (processing fee extra) or an in-state check (only from applicants).
Marriage with person under age 18 (Effective July 14, 2018)
The following requirements must be met prior to issuing a marriage license if the applicant is under 18:
- A minor who is 17 years of age may petition the Family Court in the county which the minor resides for an order granting permission to marry.
- At least 15 days must have elapsed since the court order was granted before applying for the marriage license.
- A certified copy of the court order must be presented when applying for the marriage license.
NOTE: Kentucky does not marry minors if either party is under 17 years of age and/or whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.