Motor Vehicles Department
Motor vehicle licensing is the most widely used service of the Simpson County Clerk’s office. When renewing your motor vehicle you have 3 options:
- Renew online: You can renew your registration online through the Kentucky Motor Vehicle Licensing System. Visit their website to get started. RENEW NOW. You will receive your completed renewal by mail in 3 – 5 business days.
- Mail-In Renewal Service: A $2.00 fee is added to cover postage and handling. Send registration certificate, current KY insurance card, and payment (plus a $2.00 mail-in fee) to:
Simpson County Clerk
PO Box 268
Franklin, KY 42135-0268.
- Renew in Person:
County Clerk’s Office
103 West Cedar Street
Franklin, KY 42134.
- Renew by Phone: You can renew your registration by phone at (270)-586-8161. Send your current KY insurance card by fax or email and call the office with your debit/credit card information. A $7 fee is added to cover postage and handling and credit/debit card service charge. You will receive your completed renewal by mail in 3-5 business days.
When renewing your motor vehicle remember these important items:
- Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance is required for all vehicles.
- You may also provide the current registration and/or renewal notice received in the mail
- All titling transactions require odometer disclosure.
- Kentucky law requires a person purchasing a vehicle or moving an out-of-state vehicle into Kentucky to make application for title within 15 days.
- Vehicles coming from another state must have a Vehicle Identification Number inspection before titling in Kentucky.
- Motor vehicle license plates are renewed in the owners birth month with the exception of personalized and specialty plates
- Special Plates are available for additional fees. Click here to see our special plates.
Motor Boat Renewals
All motor boat registrations and transfers are handled by the County Clerk’s Office. Kentucky law requires all boats having motors to be registered if operated on public waters. To register a boat you must have your registration certificate. Boat renewals and property tax payments may be processed in the same ways that you renew a motor vehicle (see above) except by the internet.
To correspond with us in writing, please write to:
PO Box 268
Franklin, KY 42135-0268
BUYER BEWARE! – TITLE AND SERIAL NUMBER CHECK
Before purchasing any motor vehicle, make certain that the current owner can provide a valid title for the vehicle. Be sure to verify that the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) matches the number reflected on the title. This number is typically located on the dashboard on the driver’s side and is usually visible through the windshield. If these numbers do not match, insist that the discrepancy be corrected or do not complete the transaction.